Socks! Socks! Socks! What are they?
- A sock is a clothing item made specifically for our feet.
- They are worn on the feet for the purpose of absorbing sweat in summers and they provide warmth during the cold winter days.
- They usually cover the ankles and some part of the calf.
- Socks serve a dual purpose actually. Not only do they protect us from bacteria produced from sweat but they also make us look stylish.
- Socks provide us comfort when we wear shoes.
- These days, wearing socks have become a fashion.
Trust me; there are the people out there who can go bonkers over the crazy & funny socks and the people who own more socks than the shirts.
Dire Need to Wear Socks!
Wearing men’s novelty socks is not a necessity but going barefoot is not a good idea. Trust me. If you are wearing shoes that are closed, going barefoot is like a crime. Nobody likes that awful smell. Moreover, you are inviting so many germs because feet sweat a lot and you will be stinking the whole day.
- Going barefoot can also cause feet problems. You might end up hurting your feet.
- Our feet have 250,000 sweat glands. They produce a foul smell. But we can prevent this bad odor by wearing socks.
- Socks also help us prevent many diseases.
- Socks prevent the cracking of feet, manage the moisture and reduce the stress on the feet.
- They provide cushioning to your feet and keep them soft while adding a little fashion element to your entire look.
History & Origin of Socks
Socks have evolved over time.
- Earlier, socks were made from the animal skins and they were tied around the ankle region.
- Greeks used to wear socks and they call it “Piloi” back in the 8th century BC. These so-called socks were made from animal hair.
- Romans used to wear socks called “Udones” in the 2nd century AD. These were the fitted socks made by sewing the fabrics.
- In the 5th century AD, holy European people would wear socks and they used to call it “Putteens”.
Until the middle ages, socks were worn as a status symbol.
- A knitted pair of socks from 1500 BC was found in Denmark.
- Stockings from 500 AD were found in Antinoe.
- Stockings were only for the rich back in the day. They were a privilege for the rich.
- Socks did not have elastic in the middle ages. So, garters were used to keep them in position and prevent them from falling down.
The knitting machine was introduced in 1589 and now socks could be knitted six times faster than before. The knitting machine was introduced by William Lee. Although the machine was introduced in 1589, hand knitters kept knitting socks until 1800. Queen Elizabeth did not grant the patent to William Lee for his invention because she was afraid that it would take away jobs of the people.
Lee moved to France and he was assisted by France’s King Henri IV. He built a stocking factory in Rouen. Now, the socks were comparatively easier and cheaper to produce. Socks were made more accessible to people. They were made from wool and silk. Easier production spread the use of socks.
The circular knitting frames were introduced in the 19th century. This was a big development. Knitting was dependent on machines mostly. As a result, many workers lost their jobs. Cheaper materials were used for the production of socks and the socks were produced in mass.
The invention of nylon in 1938 brought a big change. Nylon had more strength and elasticity. This made nylon a perfect material for the production of 80’s socks. Due to these features of nylon, socks are still made from nylon.
In the modern era, socks are easily available. You can order socks from your smartphones or laptops and you will get the delivery at your home. You don’t even need to leave your bed. Thanks to the internet.
Materials Used for Socks
80’s Socks are made from a wide variety of materials.
- Cotton, Nylon, Wool, Polyester, Olefins are some of the materials used for the production of socks.
- Silk, cashmere, bamboo, linen can be added to increase the level of comfort.
- The socks made from cotton are expensive and cotton socks soak an uneven amount of moisture.
- Wool socks are perfect for winters and they absorb moisture quite well.
- Nylon socks are still preferred over other types of socks due to its durability and resistance. It can also be expensive.
- Polyester is a good substitute for nylon. It is cheaper yet durable.
- Some other materials used for the production of socks are Gore-Tex, Olefin, Kevlar, X-Static.
Types of Socks
Socks never get the attention that they deserve. We hardly spare time for choosing socks. We just buy them and wear them unwarily. We never pay attention to the size, type, and material of the socks. All these things matter. Not wearing right kind of socks result in sore and smelly feet.
Your socks can make you look good. Socks can elevate your looks. So, it is important to choose the right pair of socks. Let’s have a look at different types of socks.
Ankle Length Socks :
- Anklet socks are best to wear with low cut shoes, loafers, and boat shoes.
- It gives an amazing look and it also prevents blisters.
- Ankle length socks give you a funky look.
- If you are a fashion freak who loves to try new things, then you should have ankle length socks in your wardrobe.
- Wear these socks and get a nice sophisticated look.
Calf Length Socks:
- Calf length socks give you a casual look.
- These socks are worn with skirts, shorts, and the casual dresses.
- Wide calf knee high socks are comfortable.
- They provide warmth to your body and protect your legs.
- These are generally preferred by women who love to have a casual look.
Knee Length Socks:
- Knee high socks give you a classic look.
- These socks were very popular among girls in 80s and 90s.
- They are mostly worn by women with the boots.
- They are warm and cozy.
- These socks were born in the British Army as a part of their uniform.
- If you want to have that classic look and impress others, then knee high toe socks socks are must have.
Crew Length Socks:
- Crew length socks are somewhere around 8 inches long.
- They provide protection to users from dust.
- You can wear them with your favorite dresses.
- Both men and women can wear these types of socks.
- If you decide to wear these socks with a dress, make sure you choose a decent pair of dress shoes that go well with these socks.
Mid-Calf Length Socks:
- Mid-calf length socks are longer, provides more protection than the crew length socks.
- They reach your calf area but do not overlap it.
- They are generally made from wool and provide you warmth.
- They are perfect for winters and give you a warm fuzzy feeling.
- You can wear these with your dresses.
- These are also suitable for both the genders.
Quarter Length Socks:
- Quarter-length socks give a posh look.
- Men prefer these socks with the professional outfits.
- They cover the ankle region and reach just above the ankles.
- They provide protection from blisters and shoe bites.
- These socks are must have since they provide you with a professional look.
- Women often wear quarter length socks at night just to protect their feet.
Fence Net Socks:
- Fence net socks give you a sexy, irresistible look.
- They are made from acrylic and spandex material.
- You do not need to worry about the size because any size can fit you.
- They come in various geometric patterns.
- They are only for women.
- These socks are must-have for women who want a sexy and erotic look.
- Slip-on socks suit best with low cut loafers, ballerinas.
- These socks are hidden under your shoes and that is why these are also called no-show socks.
- They are very thin and comfortable.
- If you do not like wearing socks or like them hidden then slip-on socks are best for you.
- It is nice to have these socks in your wardrobe.
- Not only will it help you with nasty shoe bites, but it also prevents the awful smell.
Thigh High Socks:
- Over the knee socks protect the bearer.
- These are worn with skirts and dresses by women.
- They come in various prints and patterns.
- They look really cute when worn with the dresses.
- If you like playing with the fashion, then you must add thigh high socks to your wardrobe.
- The trend started in Scotland.
- These socks are for winters.
- They are made from wool to give you warmth and protect you from harsh winter weather.
- They look really cute on girls.
- You must have them to keep your feet warm in winters.
- You can also knit one for you. Knitting these socks is not difficult.
- Grab a pair of these socks and enjoy the lazy winter days.
- Women love winter socks because of warmth and comfort they provide.
- As the name suggests, these socks are made for football players.
- They are really comfortable.
- They are cushioned at the heels and foot region to provide extra comfort to the soccer players.
- The socks absorb sweat and moisture very well.
- Air can flow easily which makes it comfortable for the players.
- It has elastic on the top that prevents it from falling down.
- If you’re into soccer, then it is time to grab a pair of these socks.
Moccasin Slipper Socks:
- The moccasin slipper socks are really warm and cozy.
- They are perfect for winters.
- The sole is made up of leather which is washable.
- The cotton sock is attached to the leather sole.
- They come in various colors, prints, and designs.
- They give you a funky look.
- Children really love these types of socks.
- It is time to gift them with a pair of these socks.
Ankle and Heel Pain Reliever Socks:
- These socks have an extra layer at heel and ankle.
- They are helpful in relieving foot pain.
- If you spend too much time standing, then these socks are a gift for you.
- They are very comfortable and you can wear regularly.
- Also, you can wear it to do some outdoor activities.
- The special compression zones in the socks help relieve the pain.
- Frill socks are for babies.
- They are made up of cotton.
- They look really beautiful on small kids and babies.
- They are also worn by girls.
- You can wear these for parties.
- They can be worn regularly.
- They are very comfortable.
- They are available in different colors and designs.
- You can choose according to your needs.
- Stirrup socks were worn by baseball players as they were a part of the uniform back in the 1900s.
- These socks were history but the trend is coming back to fashion again.
- You can wear stirrup socks over plain socks.
- They look really good.
Fish Net Socks:
- Fish net socks are very stylish.
- These are sex biased and are available only for women.
- They suit well with sneakers and canvas shoes.
- They give you a funky and stylish look.
- White-colored fish net socks are very popular among girls.
- These socks are made for people who love to ski.
- They keep your feet warm in the harsh snow.
- If you go skiing without wearing these socks, your feet will freeze and you won’t be able to ski.
- They come in a wide range of colors.
- They look really nice and cute.
- They reach just above the calf.
- The sole has an extra layer for extra comfort.
Split Toe Socks:
- These are the socks you wear with your flip-flops.
- It gets really hard to walk in flip-flops when you’re wearing the socks. Do not worry. You can walk while wearing sandals if you have split toe socks.
- You have one compartment for your thumb and another for rest of your fingers.
- These socks allow you to wear flip flops easily and you won’t have troubles walking.
Ballet Grip Socks:
- These socks provide a better grip.
- You can wear it while doing yoga, exercises, and other activities without having to worry about the grip.
- It soaks all the moisture and sweat.
- The chances of slipping are almost zero.
- The dots on the socks increase the grip.
- Gel socks are used to prevent or cure cracks on the feet.
- They have a lining of Vitamin E & Jojoba Oil.
- They work just like a cream to cure cracks and make your feet soft.
- But you do not need to apply cream externally in this case. Just wear these socks to reap the benefits.
- Make sure you keep them in the fridge before using.
- Wear them for a few nights and you will see the result.
Current Trends of Socks
There was a time sock were used just to prevent blisters, sweat etc. Socks were just socks. But this has changed. Socks elevate your looks. They enhance your fashion appeal now. It is important to match the socks with your getup and choose the right design if you want to look bold and sexy.
The world is witnessing major changes and the socks which were kind of considered old-fashioned are coming back to trend again. Vintage is the new sexy. Socks which were out of fashion are being worn by the celebrities and these socks are becoming the new cool. There are some new socks which are being introduced and they are leaving a mark on the fashion industry as well.
Let’s have a look at the socks trending in the market:
- Whether you are an animal lover or not, these socks will enhance your looks.
- They are really sexy and in trend.
- You can show off your love to animals by wearing these socks.
- You can easily get the socks with the print of your favorite animals.
- From pandas to dogs, cats, birds, or anything else that you might think of, you can get them easily.
Maple Leaf Socks:
- Maple leaf socks are also trending.
- They give you a fancy look.
- The maple leaves printed on the socks give them a very distinctive and attractive look.
- Justin Trudeau has been spotted wearing maple leaf socks a couple of times.
- You can wear them with casuals.
- They look good with suits as well.
- Sheer socks got the attention after Kendall Jenner wore sheer socks with sandals at Cannes International Film Festival.
- The socks are a fashion girls’ favorite ever since.
- They are the hot pick for 2018.
- Hailee Steinfeld, Keri Russell also rocked the socks by wearing them with sandals.
- These see-through socks are trending and this trend is not going to fade away anytime soon.
- We use emojis every day.
- Emojis were introduced in the 1980s and they have gained popularity ever since.
- Emoji socks are being introduced and they are fun to wear.
- They are trending right now and look really cool.
- It is perhaps time to grab a pair of emoji socks.
- Duck socks are this year’s hottest pick.
- They can be worn with any kind of clothes.
- Several celebrities have been spotted wearing duck socks.
- They look very sexy.
- Canadian Prime Minister has been spotted wearing duck socks and he nailed the look.
- His socks have been a topic of interest ever since.
Pop Culture Socks:
- Pop culture socks are also in trend these days.
- They are swaggy. You can stay on the top of the fashion if you have these pop culture socks.
- These socks look really good with suits as well as shorts.
- It is time to add pop culture socks to your wardrobe if you want to look sexy.
- Sock sneakers are everywhere.
- They look really good with sweatpants and gym trousers.
- Celebrities like Justin Bieber and Jonah Hill were spotted sock sneakers.
- These sneakers are trendy and they provide a high level of comfort.
- They are easy to wear and are perfect for lazy weekends.
- Novelty socks were considered old-fashioned but they are back in trend.
- Buy some novelty socks if you want to keep up with the latest trends in the socks.
- They are warm and comfortable.
- These socks look really nice and provide you with a retro look.
- It is time to rock the world with the retro socks.
Patterned Design Socks:
- We all love cool designs and patterns.
- That is why patterned design socks are also in trend.
- From dots to stripes, these socks enhance your look.
- These socks are really fashionable and you can get any kind of patterns and designs like dot design, cupcake design and what not.
- Cat socks are for the cat lovers.
- Show off your love to cats by flaunting cat socks.
- Cat socks are girls’ favorite.
- They look good with skirts and dresses.
- These colorful socks covered in cats give you a very nice look.
- If you love cats, it is time to add cat socks to your wardrobe.
- They give a funky yet sophisticated look.
- Dog socks are for dog lovers.
- Pug dog socks, huskies are really cozy and comfortable.
- They look really cute and fashionable.
- They give you a fancy look.
- Add these socks to your wardrobe if you are a dog lover and want to show off your love to the dog.
- These socks are also trendy.
- They are for the mysterious people.
- These socks come in various designs.
- They allow you to embrace your mysterious, romantic personality.
- They look really good with shorts.
- Grab a pair or two if you want that unique and distinctive look.
- Art socks feature some of the greatest work by the greatest artists.
- If you are an art lover, art socks would be your best bet.
- You can get the artwork of your favorite artists like Da Vinci, Picasso etc.
- These socks would present you as a creative person.
- Add these socks to your wardrobe and stay on top of the latest fashion trends.
All these socks listed above are trendy. You should add these socks to your wardrobe if you are a fashion freak especially a SOCK-A-HOLIC. These trending socks elevate your personality and they are the future of the fashion.